Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Only applicants who meet all of the following criteria shall be considered:
- Supportive of the AFLSP’s purposes, possess strong personal integrity, interested in international and intercultural understanding and goodwill, and prepared to contribute.
- Citizenship of an Asian country or region other than Japan, and prospective status of residence in Japan of “College Student” at the time the scholarship is awarded (those with multiple citizenship of Japan and other country/ies are not eligible).
- Under 35 years of age at the time of application.
- High proficiency in English (English proficiency at a level roughly equivalent to a TOEFL iBT score of 90 or more is preferred).
- Completed a bachelor’s degree at one of the designated institutions below (in the case of those who graduated from a university in China, it must be a university classified as “full-time undergraduate” (全日制本科), or are expecting to complete such a degree at one of the institutions below by the beginning of the scholarship term.
|China||Peking University, Tsinghua University (in Beijing), Fudan University, Zhejiang University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Xi'an Jiao Tong University, Nanjing University, University of Science and Technology of China, Nankai University, Wuhan University|
|Hong Kong||The University of Hong Kong, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University|
|Taiwan||National Taiwan University, National Tsing Hua University, National Chiao Tung University, National Chengchi University, National Cheng Kung University|
|South Korea||Seoul National University, Korea University, Yonsei University, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology|
|Singapore||National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University|
|Vietnam||Vietnam National University, Hanoi, The University of Danang, Hue University|
|Brunei||Universiti Brunei Darussalam|
|Indonesia||Institut Teknologi Bandung, University of Indonesia, Universitas Gadjah Mada, IPB University|
|Malaysia||University of Malaya, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia|
|Philippines||University of the Philippines|
|Thailand||Chulalongkorn University, Mahidol University, Thammasat University, Kasetsart Univerity|
|India||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB), Indian Institute of Science, Jawaharlal Nehru University|
|Sri Lanka||University of Colombo|
- Expecting to enroll in a master’s degree program as a regular (degree-seeking) student at a graduate school of Kyoto University in October 2021 or April 2022.
- Recommended by a supervising university professor or other person of equivalent status (see Application documents).
- Never previously received an AFLSP Scholarship.
- In need of financial support.
- In sound physical and mental health, with high moral standards, and an outstanding academic record.
- Remain enrolled at Kyoto University as a full-time student for the duration of participation in the AFLSP.
- Not be a recipient of any other scholarship or other form of funding support by a third party
- Not take up paid employment, full-time or part-time, while enrolled at the university and receiving the benefit of the scholarship, unless granted permission
- Fulfill the GPA requirement as stipulated by Kyoto University and BXAI
- Participate in other mandatory AFLSP programs/activities as stipulated by Kyoto University
Applicants must send all application documents in PDF format and send them all at once in a single ZIP folder. The digital version of the application documents must be sent to the email address below: AFLSP@mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Application period: March 1 to March 15, 2021 (closes at 17:00 p.m. Japan time).
Deadline for applications
Early April to Mid-April: Stage 1 Screening (document screening)
Screening of application documents by the Kyoto University selection committee
Early May(tentative): Notification of the results of the Stage 1 Screening (by e-mail)
Mid-May to Late May (tentative): Stage 2 Screening (interview)
Interview conducted by the Kyoto University selection committee
* Those who pass the Stage 1 Screening will be provided with further information about the interview at a later date.
Early June (tentative): Notification of the results of the Stage 2 Screening (by e-mail)
TBD: Interview conducted by BXAI Leaders and Board members
Applications (including video) shall not be accepted under any circumstances if they are submitted outside the application period, by any method other than the one specified above, or in an incomplete form. Once submitted, the application documents are not returnable.
Personal information contained in scholarship application documents shall not be used for any purpose other than administration of the scholarship program.
- Scholarship Application Form
- Research Plan (in any format)
- Essay on a contemporary key issues in Asia
- Letter of recommendation
- Photograph of the applicant
- Certificate of Language Proficiency (JLPT: Japanese Language Proficiency Test, TOEFL, etc.)
- Copy of the university diploma
- Certificate of enrollment (if the applicant is expecting to graduate from a university)
- Academic Transcript
- Declaration of Understanding and Agreement for an International Student Scholarship Application
- Letter of Admission from a graduate school at Kyoto University
- Copy of Residence Card (both sides)
- “教育部学歴証書電子注冊備案表” or “教育部学籍在線験証報告”
*This is required only if the applicant graduated or will graduate from a designated university in China